Man Utd news: Thomas Muller on “insane” transfer offer as Youth Cup heroes join training


Thomas Muller has revealed an “insane” offer was lodged by Manchester United to sign him, while a trio of the Red Devils’ Youth Cup stars have joined first-team training

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Man Utd’s worst ever Premier League season

Manchester United fans will be thankful for a weekend off from watching their toiling team, although the pain may come in different ways.

On Saturday, bitter rivals Liverpool added to their silverware haul this season with an FA Cup success over Chelsea, while on Sunday their neighbours Manchester City can effectively clinch the Premier League title if they beat West Ham United at the London Stadium.

The performances of both teams recently represent a reminder of how far the Red Devils still have to go and how challenging a brief new manager Erik ten Hag will have when he walks through the Old Trafford doors.

Mirror Sport has all of your United headlines, as the clock continues to tick down on a campaign to forget for the club.

How many seasons will it take for Manchester United to make up ground on Liverpool and City? Let us know in the comments section below!

Muller on “insane” United offer

Bayern Munich icon Thomas Muller has revealed the club rejected an “insane” offer from Manchester United when Louis van Gaal was in charge at Old Trafford.

Given Van Gaal and Muller worked together previously, there was plenty of speculation about the Germany international heading to Manchester when he took over as manager in 2014. However, a move didn’t materialise and Muller has continued adding to his sparkling legacy at the Allianz Arena.

The 32-year-old has recently signed a new contract to stay at the club for another two years and he has reflected on the offer he had from the Premier League outfit.

“Bayern clearly rejected the whole thing – despite this insane offer from United,” Muller said. “[But it was a] huge vote of confidence from Bayern.”

Read the story in full HERE.

United include Youth Cup winners in training

United have added three of the team’s FA Youth Cup winners to the first-team training squad this week.

Supporters packed out Old Trafford this week to see the club’s next generation take on Nottingham Forest and they earned the trophy with a 3-1 win thanks to a brace from Alejandro Garnacho Ferreyra and an opener from Rhys Bennett.

Some of those displays may seemingly be enough for the youngsters to earn a first-team outing in the final week of the season too, with little to play for in the campaign finale against Crystal Palace.

While Garnacho and Bennett were on the scoresheet on Wednesday, it was Alvaro Fernandez, Shola Shoretire and Teden Mengi spotted with the senior group at Carrington.

Read the story in full HERE.






United youngsters celebrate the Youth Cup win (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

United told to add marquee signing

With Paul Pogba’s departure from Old Trafford now seemingly inevitable, the club will need to make an addition in the central midfield area.

Although Pogba clearly had his flaws, at his best he was a creative driving force at the hub of the team and there is nobody else in the current squad of players who will be able to provide that for Ten Hag.

Felix Keith thinks it is important the Red Devils do add a marquee midfielder should the Frenchman’s exit be finalised, although he also noted how poorly United have fared when it comes to big-name acquisitions in recent years.

“A damning recent report by the CIES Football Observatory found they had spent £1.3billion over the past 10 years while bringing in £397million in sales to give them a whopping negative net spend of £908m,” he wrote. “They don’t have an awful lot to show for that expenditure.”

Read the story in full HERE.

Read More

Read More





Source link

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments